Thursday, September 4, 2008

September - Autumn 2008



Wisdom of the Sages
Episode IX - September 2008

Hello All;

For the first time since I moved here, I have had to use an umbrella. It’s been raining all day. But wouldn’t you know it, the brand new umbrella breaks after its first use. Oh well, you gets what you pays for.

Here we are with an early September Episode. Here’s why; I’m gonna be out of it for a little while. I see the writing on the wall and some things, I feel are, not going to go as planned. So, I’ll be ducking out for the next few weeks. I’ll have more to tell you on the other side of it. But I’ll be back around Halloween for Episode X. Okay? So, for the next seven weeks, try not to miss me okay? Stop it, you’re embarrassing yourself:

:[ Follow-up on that Cloned Puppy story: Turns out that she once had a sex slave during her time in a Morman sect. Sharon, a WOS reader, pointed this out as weird. I said, "What’s weird about that? Explains a lot."

:[ I heard the stupidest thing on the train the other day; this Mook on the train was trying to impress his emigre girlfriend. She was going on about how she loved America better than England (Yeah, some competition) but we are overly aggressive and went to war in Iraq "when they didn’t even have nuclear weapons".

The Mook interjects; "HAVEN’T found nuclear weapons. Haven’t found. I don’t like to jump to conclusions. I’m waiting on the evidence that proves he never had them".

You mean like ACTUALLY NEVER FINDING THEM!?!?!? That’s the problem with the war supporter’s logic. When one does not work they insert another. And how do you PROVE you don’t have something? Tell me please. Forget the IAC’s findings that all programs have been closed down since GW1. Please...

:[ My Bonnie and I were at the Skokie Backlot Bash, taking our 9-year-old (!) around on carnival rides. We watch her as she crashes around on the bumper cars. Two high school mooks and kids of different ages, plus a few adults are riding around too. Thing is, every one seems to get along when they ride the bumper cars. Not just the fact it is friendly bashing, but a spirit of fun and cooperation as they try to move the things in the right direction. Then Bonnie had a great idea: The UN Bumper Car Room.

Can you imagine all the ills of the World being solve when every so often, they drop the politics and drive bumper cars for 15 minutes or so, when they’re deadlocked? That would be awesome. When ever I run the UN, that will be the first order of business, getting bumper cars installed....

:[ Toby Keith backing Obama? Next thing you know, cats and dogs will be living together!

:[ I went to the Glenwood Arts Fair on Morse Avenue and met up with my friends Tao and Lisa. Thanks to them, I am now hooked on Riesen Candies.

:[ The Fonz gets his due; he got a bronze statue in Milwaukee commemorating his Cool. About time I say. So Readers, where's mine?

:[ In the Barnes & Noble the other day I happen to overhear this small three-year kid and his dad as they walked passed me, the kid was saying "I want to watch Batman, I want to watch Batman" over and over like a mantra. The dad, who seems to be in a hurry, like all dads are, is assuring him he will, but that the Joker might be too scary for him. Then boy then says, "I want to watch Batman, but I can’t. I’m too young. Batman is for grown-ups, huh, dad."

The dad agrees, "Yep, for grown ups."

Weird thing is, Batman is a comic book character created for kids! I guess we geeks fooled ourselves into thinking these things are soooooooooo serious now that only adults can watch comic book movies. Hah.

:[ It seems we live in a world where if you get in the last insulting remark, you think you win the argument. Right, jerks?

:[ Clone Wars; An Apologist’s POV: I took my nine year old to see it. It was pretty good for children’s fare. The jokes were light, the action aplenty. I did see the Truman Capote-voiced Hutt but for the life of me, could not fathom why people made a big deal about it. Because it insinuated that the Hutt was gay and therefore HAD to be a bad guy? I just thought that Capote was one of the Great Writers of our time. I guess the fact he was gay (?) precludes him from being a Great Writer.

Anyways, my Char liked it. I remember when we saw the trailer for it in the theater, she laughed at "Coming Soon to your Galaxy". I remember that from the Trilogy trailers. I guess Lucas knows how to cater to the Tot Set. But, my primary thought throughout the movie was "unnecessary." The animation was fine, not great. The whole "It's supposed to look like The Thunderbirds" thing was a waste. (You mean it's supposed to suck?) Still, my Char enjoyed but it was not any big deal for either of us.

You want to get Star Wars fans hungry for your movies again? Make Episodes XII, XIII & IX. Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. Not the Clones or the Sith Villain of the month. Let it go, Lucas.

Sadly, this is the only other movie I’ve seen since The Dark Knight opened almost two months ago....

:[ So Hurricane Gustav peters out after hitting landfall. Man, so many people in that area have had their live wrecked again. But, it did not cause as much damage as Katrina. So, you know what this means? THE REPUBLICANS DID IT! They are now perfectly competent to run our government again! Yay!

:[ Nothing to update on THREE KINGDOMS or Shoshoni Connection. Been kind of busy....

:[ What ever happened to the basic concept of standing in line? I was in the post office in my new neighborhood, had the book I was mailing in its sealed, padded envelope, address affix and payment in hand. Now, as one patron was trying to figure out what he wanted, I was next in line. Off on the side at the kiosk was a young lady filling out one of those address slips. When she finishes she gets back into line behind me. So, that’s established.

While the guy pays for his postage, the Postal worker waved an envelope at the girl, whom has to put her mailing into it and affix the address labeling. She does so by getting out of line again and stepping off to one side. Yet, when the guy moves off to fill out a similar label, she f**king jumps up like she was next in line! And the Postal Worker helps her irregardless of me being NEXT IN LINE!!!

Remember that lady in Menard’s I told you about?

Whatever happened to the simple concept of waiting in line....

:[ I have been working at the Field Museum since June now and it never fails; every time I enter the building, from the north side facing Lake Shore Drive, I look to the Corner Bakery on my left and always, always, see a woman, stuffing an oversized bite of something, sandwich, fruit, spoonful of soup, into her mouth. Every time! Weird, huh?

That will do it for this month. Sorry to post so early this month. But those gut-punches that I mentioned? Yeah, well, you see, I know what’s coming. I can see the outcomes of some things. So, I’m gonna batten down the hatches for a bit. Curl up fetal. Maybe weep. Who knows, maybe I'll monologue. But I’ll definately be back around Halloween.

Until next time; "I just want my phone call."

No comments: