Wednesday, July 31, 2019

JULY - EPISODE VII: SUMMER 2019


WISDOM OF THE SAGES
EPISODE VII: SUMMER 2019
Hello People of the World;

Sorry, I feel that I have been neglecting this tiny web log. I have been somewhat busy and more so lazy about getting my writing done. But for simply being too lazy and concerned with other things, I should be more diligent about making the time to write. It might be that I have concentrating less on expressing my view mostly because I know that no one visits this page and reads.

I stopped posting the latest Wisdom mainly due to the fact I hate pushing my ideals and thoughts into people’s faces. We do that enough.

 All right, let’s get going:

1:[ Gawd, two baristas trying to have a discussion about “existence”; ‘I can only prove that I exist”, “It totally doesn’t matter, any of it.” One barista trying to impress the other with an argument to solipsism, and the other trying to be nihilistic. Sure kids, I mean, you both smell like you exist. But if solipsism is the truth, I think I could have come up with two better, less fucking annoying people serving me my tea….


2:[ Toy Story 4 still packs emotional resonance. It was an unexpected joy to see that the Toy Gang could still conjure an emotional journey. My favorite part is when Cowgirl Jessie earns the sheriff’s badge. If you notice, all of her plans worked in stalling the family.


3:[ “Spider-man Far from Home” was the culmination of turning Spider-man into Tony Stark. Boring.


4:[ The Farewell is the best movie of 2019 so far. I saw it twice and will most likely see it again.


5:[ “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” is total garbage. Stay away from it.


6:[ Around the same time I bought two books; one on the founding myth of the United States, that it was based on Christian principles; and the other book was about an indigenous people’s history of the United States. I am an avowed atheist and I believe the premise of the first book “The Founding Myth” by Andrew Siebel, that Christian nationalism is un-Constitutional and that the separation between church and state needs to be maintained. I cannot wait to read the book.

However, I started to read “An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States” by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz before reading Seibel’s book. “Peoples’ History” really changed my view of history. I am really amazed at how much writers and historians shaped the myth of the US, when it actuality it was based on horrible settler-colonialism, with the government just breaking treaties to make way for European squatters on Native lands. Now, I cannot look at any historical text without seeing the taint of this “Manifest Destiny” ideology.

It makes me afraid of reading “Founding Myth” because, even a cause as progressive as Siebel’s, can be mired in never mentioning what was done, and is being done to indigenous peoples of the Americas. We’ll see. I will report once I have read both. Stay tuned….


7:[ Is it just me, or has calling police on black people for doing mundane things only really gain traction after most police have been getting away with killing black people?


8:[ I hate being called a ‘contrarian” simply because I didn’t automatically love “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”. It implies that my genuine disdain for the film is disingenuous, that I only hate it because it seems ‘coo’ to do so. That movie is garbage. Let no one tell you otherwise….


That is it for this month.

As always, I invite you to comment, correct, or contradict anything I write here. I am open to a critical debate. Thanks for taking the time to check out what I write here and I will see you in a month.


Until next time, remember “I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control everything really are.”


2019 Ernest M Whiteman III

No comments: