Sunday, January 1, 2023

DECEMBER - EPISODE XII: WINTER 2022

 WISDOM OF THE SAGES
EPISODE XII: WINTER 2022

Hello People of the World;

 

I’m going to try and post this before midnight on the 31st. I failed.

 

I forgot that that date is New Year’s Eve! We’re close to another year in the bank. Too bad we did nothing with it.

 

As always: Stay safe. Stay home.

 

 All right, let’s get going:

 

1:[ This virus really showed how equal we all really are: How quickly we are to forgot the dead and that this pandemic is still happening and we are all, every one, all of us, are choosing to ignore it.

 

2:[ MOVIE REVIEWS:

 

Slash/Back – This was a fun, if cheap, horror flick done in the spirit of community collaboration. Much like I want to do my HAMLET feature. The leads were fun, played by local Inuit teens fighting off an alien invasion in their remote town. I enjoyed it better than many Native horror films out there.

 

The Outfit – Mark Rylance is a gem. Here, he plays a cutter, as he corrects constantly, who works a tailor shop in 1956’s Chicago. His main customers are the local gangsters. When the son of his main, mob boss client uses the shop to recover from a botched hit on a rival gang, the intrigue begins and they pull the Cutter deeper into their plots to find a mole in their outfit. Mark Rylance is a gem.

 

3:[ Deleted Scenes – Avengers “Cap in Modern World” – all of the comments are mad about the scene being cut, that it was deep and developed the character. But it was cut for the same reason most scenes like it are cut. It’s boring within the context of the FUN ACTION MOVIE THAT FAN’S THEMSELVES WANT!

 

4:[ So, we got hit with a cold snap last week. Everyone was acting like it was the worst. It snowed a bit and the temperature did drop below zero. But none if it stayed long. I have predicted before to other people that winters are going to get shorter with a few days that are more intense but that’s all. Thanks Climate Change. There are probably people out there that this type of climate is for the better since winters are shorter.

 

5:[ We decided to put up only the meaningful ornaments on the tree this year rather than include the filler bulbs which are super fragile glass. The reason they were so light and fragile is so you would have to buy a new set every year. I know some people will buy boxes of cheap Christmas bulbs every year and toss them every year. Where I grew up, we stored them back in their boxes and used them every year. I am sure we still have a tone of old glass bulbs from before I was born back on the rez….

 

6:[ We cannot go back to “Normal” all after this: because “normal” is what ruined everything to begin with…

 

7:[ It looks like I’ll be back at University of Wisconsin Parkside to teach Native Americans in Media for the Spring 2023 semester. I love teaching the course. But, looking at enrollment, it may get cancelled again due to low enrollment numbers.

 

8:[ Every time I try to type something in this file, I have to change the color and boldness of the font. I change it, save it, then when I put the cursor next to the bracket to write a new item for the weblog, it is ALWAYS BOLD, RED! I don’t know why it doesn’t save the changes I made. Weird.

 

 

That is it for this month.

 

That’s it for this year. Remember, in the slow march of Time, it’s just another Sunday…

 

As always, I invite you to comment, correct, or contradict anything I write here. I am open to a critical debate. Thanks for taking the time to check out what I write here and I will see you in a month.

 

Until next time, remember “I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control everything really are.”

 

 

2022 Ernest M Whiteman III

 

No comments: