Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August - Summer 2012





Hello People of the World;


Well, here we are more than half the year has passed. How many of us are still writing “2011” on everything requiring a date? Remember that fall is right around the corner. Wouldn’t want you to be taken by complete and total surprise when the earth tilts and shifts away from the sun causing the weather to turn cooler, thereby forcing you to complain about the chilly air. We don’t want that now. So, be ready.

So, here we are in the Post-The Dark Knight Rises world. How can I go on? Oh well, if I am going to live well into the next Age, I better learn to get over it, you think? A lot of changes happened this summer. I left my primary job. The old adage of the more things change the more the stay the same, has become quite true in my circumstance. A bit of advice to everyone out there: A simple “Ha-ha. Oh really? I’m asking Ernest about that….” will save you a LOT of headaches later on.

Anyways, let’s get started shall we?


1:[ First item of the month: More truthfulness: My Nervousness 

So, my Bonnie and I were talking about this. We were discussing about how we are nervous about our respective situations. I admitted my nervousness about my situation and this surprised Bonnie, as I guess I come across as a cool… I don’t know, something, maybe a cucumber.

Anyways, I had to admit that I was very nervous about the state of affairs. I had to admit that I was really nervous lately about being getting injured or sick. Really. No one these days can even afford to go to the emergency room with out going broke. Everything costs. That’s is the definition of society today: everything costs. And we cannot speak out about it because of some archaic tacit rule about nationalism.

How is that not unlike Communist Russia? Where you have to remain healthy, that we are only good to the state healthy and only if we work for the state or for corporations that we are now entitled to have medical care? In the US today our President, yes our current President, can lock me up without a trial, access to a lawyer and without facing my accusers. Sure, you can say that is a holdover from the Patriot Act but why haven’t these been struck down? We are supposed to be a free country. We are supposed to be able to protest without getting our asses beat by cops. Yet, our phones can be tapped and, thanks to Facebook, we openly tell the world where we are and what we are doing, hell, even what the fuck we are eating!

Like Communist Russia we cannot speak out against the system because of some form of stupid nationalism that would upset the status quo, that we cannot express an opinion without it incurring some form of hostile response from others that don’t know they are in the same boat. We’re free? Why? Because we can choose our cars, or because we watch reality TV, eat fast food? How free are we when we cannot even go to the emergency room when we are sick all because of costs?

Seriously. Everything costs.

You can see why I’m nervous….

Coming Soon: More Truthfulness

+ NAMELESS: The Authentic and Magical Ledger Art of EW3 & A Treatise on American Indian Art (SOON)

+ The Five Hypocrisies of Native America (August 30)

+ ONE: A Spoken Word (October 1)


2:[ More proof that we may have comes from monkeys: our own stupidity. First of all, we all know that cell phones emit radiation into our heads. We even have articles on Yahoo that tell us how to make them emit LESS radiation. Secondly, we know what’s in our tap water. Third, we know everything we post to the Internet will be seen by everyone and that we know whatever we post to Facebook belongs to Facebook. We know that fast food is terrible for us. We know that walking into traffic you are going to get hit.

Yet WE STILL ALL DO these things!

Sure, we can raise our little hypocrisy flags and scream around about personal freedoms, but why do we do the things that play to our primative instinct of getting our ticklies tickled? We always then hoot and holler and take sides like the pack of Monkeys that we are. Man, we need to shape up….


3:[ More MOVIE TIME ADVENTURES:

+ My Review of “The Dark Knight Rises” became more of a reflection on my connection with Batman on film but I eventually get around to reviewing it. Check it out by CLICKING HERE. Then, come back here and let me know what you thought.

+ So, I took the opportunity to attend the “The Dark Knight Trilogy” Experience that played at various places across the country. This was a great opportunity to see all three of the Nolan Batman films on the big screen once again. Since the Evanston marathon was sold out I went to see the trilogy at the theater in Skokie. I thought it was pretty cool, I got a neat lanyard and a mini-poster and I found a good seat, by myself, which is what I prefer. But then over the course of the first two films, three words: Those Fucking Mooks!

Why can’t people just be quiet when watching a movie? This is how you separate the boys from the men – how fussy you get during a movie. These mooks just had to make noise and chatter. I couldn’t change seats because the place sold-out. Rats. Whenever there was a humorous moment in the film one of them would yell out a sarcastic “Hah” that annoyed the fuck out of everyone. At one point someone actually told them to “would you please shut the fuck up” to which there response was the whole pack of mook would exaggerate their laughing. Just my luck to be in the row in front of them to hear every stupid fucking thing to come out of their over privileged mouths.

+ Tomorrow My Bonnie and I see Rifftrax Live: Manos, the Hands of Fate”. I’ll tell you all about it next month, provided we survive “Manos: the Hands of Fate.”

+ Man, this synopsis for Mad Max: Fury Road sounds fucking awesome and poetic. Check it out: “Max is caught up with a group of people fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by the Imperator Furiosa. This movie is an account of the Road War which follows. It is based on the Word Burgers of the History Men and eyewitness accounts of those who survived.”

See what I mean? Fucking awesome and poetic and intriguing. Don’t worry crybabies, Mel Gibson gave his blessing to Tom Hardy….


4:[ Okay, how am I NOT carrying a manpurse? I was out for most of the day the other day and the next day realized that I could not find my cell phone. I checked my bag and could not find it in there. So, I go to the last place I remember seeing it in my hand, the Starbucks that I frequent. I met my Bonnie there the evening before and I remembered putting it in my bag. I asked the barista and he looks for it in the lost and found. He mentioned that he saw me there the day before. I tell him no big deal. I felt bad because over these last couple of year, especially since my divorce, I have had to let go of or just plain lost many things that meant something to me.

This is the phone I call Floyd because like that dim, pot-smoking character, it is really bad at getting my messages to me in any sort of coherent fashion. But what really stung is that my little girl is still on the voice mail message, her tiny sweet voice greets callers. I hated that I lost that. It broke my heart but I had to carry on.

So, I get home later on and decided to check my bag again and you know what? It was right where I put it the day before. I do not know how I could have overlooked it. It reminded me of how women lose small things and freak out over it and they only have to check their purses a bit more thoroughly to find their keys, bankcards, lipstick, jewelry and the like. So, I ask again, how am I NOT carrying a manpurse?


5:[ Ah yes, settle in Readers for more of:

Adventures at the Coffee Shop!

+ Okay, so there was one table open that the Starbucks and this dude in front of me just kept talking and holding up the line in front of me. If he would just claim the table I would get out of line, no point in waiting in line if you are not getting a seat. I will visit a bit with the barista/cashier only if there are no other people in line. Why hold up the line gabbing endlessly about all the jacksh*t you know absolutely know nothing about? Just order your damn coffee and get the f*ck out of line….

+ I just saw a man wearing a brand new t-shirt that said “Rolling Stones 1974 Tour”. I mean it was really brand new. The lettering and the mouth logo still had that new shine to them and the black shirt still had that unwashed sheen to it. You know the look. He really could have seen the Stones in ’74 but a brand new shirt means anyone could buy it and pretend to have seen them. I want to buy a “Wounded Knee 1973” tee shirt and pretend I was there. Indians still do that and a lot of people would believe me….

+ I hate the talkers that just don’t shut up. You know those people that drone on and on as if their points are the most important. You know the type. People who just fucking talk and talk and yammer on about whatever comes up, without objectivity as if they are the font of wisdom this band of people in the Starbucks need with absolutely no humility in cutting off people and talking over them just so you can say whatever you want to fucking say. That needs to stop….


6:[ Sometimes, I cannot help but feel sorry for those people out there struggling day to day and they are perceived to have mental problems or they are just outright “strange”. You see them everywhere, just people struggling to get by, go on with their own lives. I see this guy outside the coffee shop window, a squat fella with suspenders and his pants hiked up to his chest. He has big eyeglasses and I see him on the bus from time to time. He talks to people that pass him in his seat, offering directions or comments. People really seem to be bugged by him, but he doesn’t know better. We chose to ignore him or be rude at him.

I guess because we tend to treat “slower” people as inconvenient to our society or as if we are indeed the pinnacle of human culture and we need not be slowed down because we are needed right away and we are somehow better than everyone else and let’s face facts: it’s never going to get better than me. Ego. Again.


7:[ And now Wisdom of the Sages presents:

An Ever-growing List of Things That MUST Stop!

+ Jaywalking. Of course, that needs to stop. Worse, are the jaywalkers that push their kids out into the street as if they are expecting the cars to stop because they have kids. Not if they don’t see you and you pop out unexpectedly. Then, the driver is the assh*le for hitting your stupid ass. Society. So, today I saw this Guy and his son walk into street, but before he gets a step into the crosswalk, the light begins to change over to red. Instead of stopping and getting back on the curb, the man turns to his son and starts yelling, “run… run…” because apparently, the kid isn’t moving fast enough. He dragged his kid across a moving intersection, across all of these drivers’ lives all because it is his most favorite to do and he simply could not wait for the next WALK light.

The sheer entitlement of his crossing the street bugged me. Why? All the cars had to stop for this idiot. Later down the street, he had his whole family crossing again in the middle of the block where there are NO crosswalks (Where the would have right-of-way) and he was complaining that they had to wait for a guy on a bike, “crazy man on a bike” the guy said. I had a fantasy of pummeling him in front of his kids. My stupid overreaction needs to stop, …now.

+ Hey, dummy, you are not supposed to use all the fricking washing machines in the laundry room at once! Have some f*cking courtesy to your neighbors!

+ How is screaming at someone from inside your car supposed to change the situation? The people in the other car can’t hear you. Geez. That needs to stop.

+ How is pressing both the Up and Down buttons for the elevator supposed to make it arrive faster? All you are doing is holding up the people already on the elevator. I love it when a dummy like that jumps on and the elevator goes in their opposite direction. They huff and puff. I think, “Then you shouldn’t have pressed Up and Down at once. That stupidity needs to stop. An elevator is as fast as it is. Pressing all the buttons, or pressing them over and over or really, really HARD simply does not make the elevator move any faster. Learn that first and spare the rest of us your nonsense….


8:[ Let me ask you, honestly, what would you think of “Breaking Bad” if it were about African-American men or Latino men? Would you watch it, call it ‘racist’? Why is it that we elevate this brand of criminal to hero status? Would the series be on the cover of every magazine if it starred Andre Braugher or Edward James Almos? Would black or Mexican meth dealers garner the same hero worship or would they be viewed as the root cause of all crime in society. The fact is meth is a problem on many reservations. Can you imagine if it starred Graham Greene and Nathanial Arcand? It wouldn’t be seen as heroic, but as treatise on the poor state of affairs on EVERY reservation and they are but victims and criminals. No one would watch it. Really. No one would. But no, put Malcolm’s dad in it and it’s the hit of the year….

That’s why I hate that show….


9:[ From the “This Just In” Department: Hey, wait- …there was an Olympics?


10:[ Last Item of the Month: Once again, I have been asked to teach an upper level course at the University of Wisconsin Parkside. Yes, I will corrupt the next generation of youth with my self-righteous, angry victimization! Honestly, I got some good student review for basically yelling at them for forty-five minutes then showing them Star Wars every week….


That will do it for this month.

I have been putting out digital posters for my ledger art project. So, keep an eye out for those. I think they are pretty spiffy and convey what I want to say about American Indian Art in general. (Hint: not much.) I see that some of my ideas are spreading around, either by the coincidence of other artists coming to the same conclusions as me then making it a zeitgeist or by outright theft. Either way, works for me.

Hey, feel free to comment, correct or contradict any of the items you read here. I am a big boy and I never really comment on the comments because I feel that everyone should have their two cents listed. Hey, it is all only my own personal opinions. Like I stated earlier, I am trying to be more honest and truthful about my ideals. By no means do I think that my opinions are the final say, they are very objective, biased and I offer you readers the chance to offer your own critiques and counterarguments. Let’s face it, civil discourse in this country has de-evolved to simply yelling over one another and whom ever gets in the final shot is supposed to be the winner. But there should be no winners in a debate, only the unifying element of coming to mutual terms…. Let’s try that once.


Until Next Time, “I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control everything really are.”




© 2012 Ernest M. Whiteman III


No comments: